Our exposure to toxic metals and chemicals has gotten to the point where babies are even being born toxic due to the toxic load of their mothers. A 2004 study by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) found that blood samples taken from umbilical cords from babies born in August and September of 2004 in U.S. hospitals contained an average of 287 toxins, including mercury, fire retardants, pesticides and Teflon chemicals.
And the Summer 2008 issue of the Weston A. Price Foundation's quarterly journal, Wise Traditions in Food, Farming, and the Healing Arts, has reported that the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) estimates that over 60,000 children in the US alone are born each year at risk for life-long problems because of dangerous blood levels of mercury in their mothers. Vaccinations containing mercury and aluminum then add to the burden, often sending an already vulnerable child over the edge into autism, ADD/ADHD, life-threatening allergies and autoimmune diseases.
The report titled: "Mad as a Hatter -- How to Avoid Toxic Metals and Clear Them From the Body" [PDF], prepared by Kaayla T. Daniel, PhD, CCN and Galen D. Knight, PhD have observed that even people who follow healthy dietary guidelines can still have serious health problems because of being exposed to these Toxic Heavy Metals.
The report notes that we cannot realize our full health potential until our bodies remain waste dumps for mercury, aluminum, cadmium, arsenic, lead and nickel. Even the precious metals, such as gold, silver and platinum can create problems. Mix that with a dose of chloride and fluoride found abundantly in municipal water supplies, it's no wonder that so many of us are sick and tired.
The Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry (ATSDR) has listed arsenic, lead and mercury as the top three hazardous substances for 2007 that people were exposed to.
So, how do you get exposed to all these toxic metals?
The "Mad as a Hatter" report has provided the following list of items:
- Cookware: The chemical used in non-stick cookware, Perflurooctanoic Acid (PFOA), continues to prove its toxicity. It is found in the bloodstream of 95% of American men, women, and children. In 2005, DuPont agreed to pay a record $10.25 million settlement with the U.S. EPA for allegedly withholding information about the health risks posed by PFOA. In 2006, non-stick pan manufacturers agreed to phase out PFOA by 2015. Also, the stainless steel cookware can expose you to carcinogenic nickel, and often cobalt and chromium, as well. The Aluminum and Teflon Cookware because of their ingredients (Aluminum and Teflon) are well known for their health dangers. Use glass, cast iron, carbon steel, titanium, and enamel cookware. For the enamel cookware, use a high-end cookware, such as Le Creuset, or ask the manufacturer if it contains any lead at all. You would want a lead free enamel cookware.
- Restaurants: Most restaurants usee stainless steel cookware and in the US they are required by law. Avoid eating at restaurants, especially at buffets where salty and acidic food sits out in stainless warming trays for extended periods of time.
- Thermoses and Water Containers: TThe newly chic and "sanitary" aluminum and stainless steel water bottles (containers) and stainless steel thermoses are just what they are, aluminum and stainless steel that you're putting in your body. Use the old-fashioned glass-lined thermoses and glass water bottles, but be careful not to break them.
- Personal Care Products and Cosmetics<: Some cosmetics have aluminum bases. Also, "natural" mineral powders may contain bismuth, which is all-natural but dangerous mineral. The Antiperspirants (Deodorants) are a primary source of aluminum. Use organic or all natural (minus bismuth) products.
- Jewelry: The nickel found in cheaap costume jewelry is especially dangerous.
- Orthodontics and Surgery: Many orrthodontics and surgeons use stainless steel (which contains nickel) for braces, wires, palate wideners, etc. This is especially unfortunate for the ones wearing braces because a 24/7 exposure in a hot environment mixed with saliva is a formula for metal toxicity. Ask for pure titanium products. Sadly, many of the products marketed as "titanium" are actually mixes of titanium and stainless steel.
- Vaccinations: Vaccines inject merrcury and aluminum additives directly into the bloodstream.
- Natural Medicines: Some Colloidall minerals have left people with heavy metal toxicity as well as toxic levels of needed macro or trace minerals either because of alleged medicinal values for such substances or unintentional contamination. Also, herbs picked from areas near highways are often contaminated with cadmium, lead and manganese.
- Smoking: Direct smoking or secondd hand smoke leaves you with cadmium poisoning.
- Dental Work: With dentistry, therre are no truly good solutions. The worst of it is, of course the amalgams fillings, which may contain cadmium, zinc, tin, copper, and silver in addition to mercury.
This is just a short list in addition to conventional fruits and vegetables loaded with pesticides (deadly chemicals), medications, conventional household cleaners, processed foods, conventional seeds, toys and other plastic products, synthetic materials and food additives, and so on.
How would you know which toxic metals and in what quantity you might have in your body?
In addition to our research for the answer to this question, we have also called a local family doctor who does toxic metal testing. He gave us the following answer:
In addition to a blood work, or a hair test, a 24-hour urine test could be performed. For a 24-hour urine test your doctor would give you two special sterile containers to collect your urine in.
You would collect your urine in one container for 24 hours for the Aluminum test and then you would collect your urine in the other container in the next day's 24-hour timeframe to test for the other metals.
How would you remove those toxic metals from your body?
If you find out that you have high levels of toxic metals in your body, first of all, you need to work on eliminating the exposure. Find out how you're getting these metals in your body, (such as the examples mentioned above), and completely eliminate those sources.
Many doctors would use a so-called Chelation Therapy, which is a rapid detoxification method for removing toxic metals from human body that was developed for acute poisoning, but it is also being used for chronic toxicity. Also, you would find many chelation products sold for this purpose. Based on the "Mad as a Hatter" report, this method is neither natural nor wise.
In theory, Chelation is a process by which toxic metals are bound to a chelating agent and then eliminated from the body. However, the body stores the toxic metals as far away as possible from the vital organs deep within the cells and tissues. When a chelation is provoked for the body to rapidly dump all these toxic metals into the bloodstream so they can be passed out in the urine and bile, based on how much toxic waste is in your body, on their way out these toxic metals may damage your brain, nervous tissue and other vital organs. Also, this method can seriously deplete your vital minerals. Even when properly done, your doctor needs to monitor the health of your kidneys and liver and your blood composition while going through this Chelation Therapy.
In preparation for this alert, we discussed this matter with a mother who has an autistic child. She already had her child tested three times for toxic metals and all three tests showed very high levels of Mercury, Aluminum, Nickel and other metals. The child's Mercury level was above 700 for under 150 considered normal. She's now letting her child's hair grow a bit so she could do a hair test to confirm the findings of the other three tests. Meantime, she decided to follow through with a Chelation Therapy since she said she had enough confidence in her doctor's ability.
Alternative to this would be Kevin Trudeau's recommendation: Coconut, or to be more specific, Organic, Unrefined, Virgin Coconut Oil. He says this type of oil is a product that falls in that "miraculous" category. This oil has a dramatic, positive effect on the body. He recommends taking one tablespoonful in the morning and one in the late afternoon.
Or simply, go to your local store and buy Coconut, but not the processed foods containing coconut flavors, but a real Coconut. Drill a hole in one of the 3 spots (eyes) with a Corkscrew wine bottle opener, stick a straw inside, drink the coconut water from the inside, crack it open, and eat it raw and fresh. You will enjoy the exotic taste and the enormous health benefits while detoxifying your poisonous body. The coconut water should taste as a coconut flavored water with no smell and a pleasant taste. If it smells bad or tastes weird, the coconut could be rotten based on how long the coconut has been sitting on the store shelves.
If you do a metal toxicity test on you or your child and you find out that the levels are above normal, we would appreciate if you could share your test results with the rest of us to raise the awareness in people. We will post these results below this article. No personal information will be posted and all names will be mentioned with initials for privacy.